Evonik - 2018 marks Evonik’s second year reporting as owner/operator of the Reserve Plant. This site is a specialty chemical manufacturing site with 46 direct and 4 resident contract employees. Evonik’s Reserve main product line is nonionic surfactants – or more simply – liquid soaps used in industrial and institutional cleaning products. The plant also produces waterborne epoxy resin coatings which are zero VOC, waterborne, epoxy resins. These epoxy resins are used in floor sealers, paints and anticorrosive coatings for metal Original Equipment Manufacturing.
We are committed to the development, sale, manufacture, distribution and continual improvement of our specialty chemicals and their use in industrial and
consumer applications. It is our policy to hold Responsible Care® environmental protection, health, safety, security, and quality as mutually achievable objectives. We will provide the necessary resources to maintain a comprehensive ESHQ system. Each individual is expected to accept responsibility and accountability for the environment, health, safety, security, and quality aspects of their jobs so that each makes a contribution. We are committed to the following principles at the Reserve plant:
• To preserve health, safety, security, and a sound environment for our employees, community and customers;
• To design and operate our facilities in compliance with applicable environmental, health, safety, security, and quality requirements as minimum standard;
• To develop and produce products in compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality requirements as a minimum standard;
• To monitor our facilities to ensure they are operating in a safe and environmentally protective manner;
• To work constructively with government agencies, the public and our customers in the development and implementation of our safety, security and environmental activities;
• To devote research and technological resources to improve the safety and environmental performance of our processes and products;
• To evaluate, demonstrate and continuously improve product safety performance, and to provide information about our products;
• To continue our efforts to minimize releases to the environment;
• To conserve resources and energy through pollution prevention and product stewardship;
• To conduct educational and instructional programs to ensure our employees know, understand and comply with safety and environmental laws and regulations and our ESHQ policy;
• To provide public information concerning our ESHQ policy, operations and products and their relation to the environment and human health;
• To periodically review and update our ESHQ policy and objectives;
• To participate in the outreach organizations and programs that promote our ESHQ
Evonik is active in multiple St. John Parish community activities including but not limited to:
• St. John United Way
• St. John Local Emergency Planning Committee
• Evonik – Bayou Steel Community Advisory Panel
• St. John Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day
In 2018, annual production at the facility increased from 72.92 to 73.31 million pounds, Air emission rates increased slightly, resulting in an increase in reported emissions from 9,374 to 10,465 pounds. This was due to higher Methyl Isobutyl Ketone (MIBK) emissions due to increased Surfynol production. Off-site disposal increased from 108,140 to 183,416 pounds. This increase was also due to higher Surfynol production, which produces MIBK as a waste.
Evonik makes every effort to maintain world class performance. Our commitment to improvement of environmental, safety and security measures supports our goal to make St. John Parish a better community/ environment to live and work in today and tomorrow. In 2018, the Reserve plant celebrated over 27 years without a lost time accident. Each employee is committed to doing their part to continue this successful trend.