Evonik, Reserve - 2021 marks Evonik’s fourth year reporting as owner/operator of the Reserve Plant. This site is a specialty chemical manufacturing site with 46 direct and 4 resident contract employees. Evonik’s Reserve main product line is nonionic surfactants, or more simply, liquid soaps used in industrial and institutional cleaning products. The plant also produces waterborne epoxy resin coatings which are zero VOC, waterborne, epoxy resins. These epoxy resins are used in floor sealers, paints and anticorrosive coatings for metal Original Equipment Manufacturing.
We are committed to the development, sale, manufacture, distribution and continual improvement of our specialty chemicals and their use in industrial and consumer applications. It is our policy to hold Responsible Care® environmental protection, health, safety, security, quality, and sustainability as mutually achievable objectives. We continue to provide the resources to maintain a comprehensive ESHQ system. Each employee and contractor is expected to accept responsibility and accountability toward meeting our objectives as a key part of their job ensuring that everyone makes a positive contribution. The Reserve plant remains committed to the following principles:
• Preserve health, safety, security, and a sustainable environment for our employees, community and customers;
• Design and operate of our facility and products in a sustainable manner in compliance to applicable environmental, health, safety and security requirements;
• Monitor our facility and work closely with government agencies, the public and customers in the development and implementation of our safety, environmental, security and sustainability activities;
• Further research and development resources to improve our processes and
• To continuously search for opportunities to improve product stewardship and provide accurate product information;
• Continue our efforts to minimize environmental releases;
• Conserve resources and energy through pollution prevention, product stewardship and development of sustainable products;
• Provide our employees with educational programs to ensure health and safety for them and the community;
• Train our employees to understand Evonik ESHQ policy and compliance with safety and environmental laws and regulations and periodically review and update our ESHQ policy and objectives and provide information to the public concerning our operations and products;
• Community involvement by investing and partnering with outreach organizations and programs that help our community grow and flourish.
Evonik is active in many local community activities including: CAP, St. John United Way– raising over $10,000, St. John Local Emergency Planning Committee, Household Hazardous Materials Collection Day and charity events.
Evonik also participates in giving back to the community with local charity events with their business partners LFCU.
Production rates in 2020 were higher by 10% compared to 2019, while air emissions only increased by 1.4% and offsite waste disposal was decreased by over 8% due to capital investment and continuous improvement and efficiency of our operations.
Evonik makes every effort to maintain a world-class sustainable performance. Our commitment to improve the environment, safety, sustainability and security measures supports our goal to make St. John Parish a better community to live, work and play. In 2020, the Reserve plant celebrated over
29 years without a lost time accident. Each employee is committed to doing their part to continue this successful trend. T